Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Our Water

(The following post was written in a notebook but not actually posted on the blog until we received our referral because we didn’t tell our family that we were in process. We waited until we had the referral for our son before we published on the blog because we wanted to do this “covertly” and have it be a surprise to as many people as possible.)

So…on September 10, Holt called and told us we needed a well water test that is less than a year old. They said this is a State of Nebraska requirement. I asked her why we didn’t have to do this last time and she didn’t know. I called Culligan and on Monday, someone left a message that we should check with Midwest Laboratories about a water test. On Tuesday, I picked up a water test kit and took a sample in on Wednesday. On Friday, Holt called and said they got the results (we didn’t get our copy until Monday) and that our water is “contaminated.” She can’t approve a home study to be done until we have a pure water test. On Monday (Sept 20) she called and said she hadn’t gotten to talk to anyone yet but I could call if I wanted to. I called and found out that I could take the next sample—not necessarily someone from the lab. I also called Culligan and spoke to the guy there and he said something about “shocking the well” and suggested I call another company that can clean water. I called this other place and learned about a reverse osmosis system and how to shock a well. He said we could do this ourselves. So, I went and got several water test kits, 2 gallons of Clorox, and 5 gallons of drinking water so we don’t have to drink chlorinated water the next several days. When Tony got home, he poured the Clorox into the well and we did the next couple of steps before bedtime. We had to let it sit overnight in the pipes and then let it run from the outside for two hours. I called the lab and asked when we could test again and they said “When you don’t smell chlorine anymore.” It was Friday before we didn’t smell chlorine anymore but my mom was here watching Meighan while I painted trim so I didn’t get to take a sample on Friday.

On Monday, September 27, I took a 2nd sample to be tested. I had the results emailed to me on Tuesday and they came back MUCH better—but not perfect. So, I called our well people and spoke with 2 people at Culligan and learned lots! When Tony got home in the evening, we talked and decided to get a UV Filter System and that should take care of all the bacteria that’s left. I emailed Holt and received a reply that our file will be given to our social worker. Yippee!

We can finally start the HOME STUDY!

No comments: